Meal Prep 101


So have you heard about this meal prep thing?  Are you curious?  

Let's start with the WHY?


So why do we eat "junk".  We know it is not good for us!

Why?  It is easy, cheap, and fast.  We are all super busy, we try to cram too much into a day, so we are running around then realize we are starving.  Sound familiar?

So here is a solution.  What if you had healthy meals you could just heat up?  What if you could save time during the week?  What if you could save money?  Would you be interested?
Of course you would!  Hence all the prepped meals that are all over the internet.  (note:  I know lots of people who like them.  I personally don't want to spend my money that way.  I would rather travel.)

So I Meal Prep.  Does it take a while to learn?  Yes, like most things?  Do I feel it is worth it?  Yes.

Here is what you need to do to Meal Prep Successfully.

STEP 1:  PLAN

You have to decide, in advance what you want to eat.  I love doing this, because I only have to hear "I don't know what I want to eat" (insert whinny voice here).

Our week-

  • Breakfast is shakes or bagels depending on the person:)
  • Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese, 
  • Taco Stuffed Tacos, 
  • Chicken Caesar Salad with Chicken (Family Recipe), 
  • Sweet Potatoes with Black Bean Salsa with Chicken, and 
  • Sweet Potatoes with Chickpeas.  
  • Plus Unicorn Bark as a sweet treat.

(Email me for Recipies - bohemianfitness@gmail.com)
STEP 2: STICK TO THE LIST AT THE GROCERY STORE.

From there?  Make a list!  There have been multiple studies showing this helps lower overall costs at the grocery store.  Another hint- don't go to the store hungry:)

STEP 3:  SET ASIDE TIME AND ASK FOR HELP

I spent About 2 hours and 15 minutes making all the food for our family of 4 for a week.  That is about 28 minutes a day if averaged out.  Time that I don't have to spend during the week.  That was groceries put away to kitchen cleaned.  The kids (teenagers) helped chop and open cans.  The wife focused on clean up and chopping support.  I cooked and directed.  Lots of things in the oven at the same time, and every burner on the stove going.



STEP 4: PACKAGE AND LABEL



BTW, those are containers from lunch meat that was used for lunch over the school year.  And  if you notice some are in larger containers?  Those are for family dinner verses grab and go for lunch or busy nights.



If you have questions, or need help getting this set up for your family, email me (bohemianfitness@gmail.com).  I would be happy to add you to my next challenge group.  If I can do it, so can you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Earth Day with Some Meditation

COVID 19 & PA- How and Why to Stay Active, NOW!!!

St. Croix, USVI - FAQ's