So What Exactly is a Guru?



Guruji by C. Morgan
I was taken aback on class on Wednesday. A seasonal visitor and a local resident both spoke to me about my time at the Ashram.

I write this blog to share my experiences, but the conversation on Wednesday brought home the power of words. So, although later than I intended, I feel called to share my thoughts on Guruji.

In Yoga Philosophy, a Guru is simply a teacher. Someone who has traveled a spiritual path and is offering instruction to you to as you walk the same path. Just as an Ashram is simply a place to learn.

It is that simple.

When I entered the Ashram, I felt that I knew about the physical practice of yoga, but I wanted to increase my knowledge about the spiritual side.

At the end of my 2 week training, I learned A LOT about the physical practice and the spiritual practice of Yoga. I also learned A LOT about myself. The later was a bit of an eye opener.

At the Ashram we spent about 4 hours a day in the presence of Yogi Hari. We chanted and meditated together and he shared stories of his life, his spiritual journey, and content from various Spiritual texts. We spoke of the Bible, the Koran, the Tora, the Bhavagad Gita, and the Upanashads among others. Yes, my Kindle is now packed with Spiritual texts. What I know is that I don't know the answers, but I am enjoying the process of questioning.

So what did I learn at the Ashram from Guruji? The over arching content was how to live the best life possible.  Here are some of the highlights, from my perspective.

  • Avoid the 7 Deadly Sins or The Defects of the Mind. 
  • How to be kind and share kindness.
  • How to be open to the Divine within.
  • And most importantly, the How to Quiet the Mind.
Quieting the Mind, allows space for all the other questions to seek answers. I decided to become a member of the Ashram and continue to make return trips to walk my own Spiritual Path, with guidance from Guruji. 

I will continue to share my experiences with you and offer you the opportunity to do the same. What ever brings you to this Blog or to your Mat with the FMB Yoga Project, I thank you.  

Om Shanti, Renee




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Earth Day with Some Meditation

COVID 19 & PA- How and Why to Stay Active, NOW!!!

St. Croix, USVI - FAQ's