Rule 3- Be Flexible


This has always been my approach to traveling.  It should be moving, rewarding, but it is not always easy.  I have a theory, that when you travel a lot, periodically, you will have a trip where everything goes wrong.  You miss a flight, you get sick, the beautiful hotel you choose online is a roach infested hell hole.  The list goes on.

So what do you you?  In order to have an enjoyable trip you have to learn to be flexible.  Learning to go with the flow has been my biggest challenge and I am forced to perfect that skill when I travel.  I admit it, I have control issues.  I hate it when things don't go as planned.  So what do you do when the travel gods are not shining on you?

Step 1 Breathe.  This is such an overlooked practice.  I mean literally, stop, and take 5 deep breaths in and slowly let them out.  The practice of breathing is often lost but it has/ and can have a profound impact on your physcology and physiology.  (Need some help, check out this video I did for my Yoga Teacher Training).

Step 2 Assess.  How bad is it, and what can you do to fix it?

When. you miss a flight, use the app, or call the airline to rebook, if they are not doing it automatically for you.  Find a bar/restaurant, have a cocktail, get some work done, call an old friend- see a theme?  Make the most of your time, or make lemonade out of lemons.

Getting sick is the worse- but plan ahead.  Have a SMALL travel kit with what you need if you get a cold, cut yourself, have an upset belly.  That way you are not hunting for things, you address them and move on.  (If you get really sick, every hostel or hotel we have been in helped a lot in finding what we needed.)

Key Largo, FL
Poor hotel?  Complain or Move.  MOST hotels, hostels, Airbnb wants to make things right.  If they don't, and it is that bad, move on.  NOTE:  This does not mean that you can complain that the hotel bed does not feel like home and do not demand 5 star service if you are paying a bargain basement price-life is still "you get what you pay for".   (I am holding myself back from complaining about travelers who treat hosts poorly, but I am sure I will rant about that in the future.)

Step 3 Be Flexible.  Keep in mind my focus for the summer, Yoga and Yoga Teacher Training.  I think you should use travel to try something new.  If the place you planned to see was packed, try someplace else.  You never know what you will see or experience or how hit might change you.  I am pushing myself to try new things this summer.  Check out my first LiveStream 1 on the Bohemian Fitness Page.  Let me know if you like it, and I will be trying to do more.

It is a great big beautiful world, to out there and enjoy. 
Thank you Anthony for sharing your passions with me, you will be missed.  

Megan and I June 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Earth Day with Some Meditation

COVID 19 & PA- How and Why to Stay Active, NOW!!!

St. Croix, USVI - FAQ's