Yoga in Action - Advanced Open Water Scuba Diving

You may wonder why I am talking about Scuba Diving & Yoga?  Simply, without my yoga practice I would not have made it through the weekend.  Pranayama, or yoga breathing, helps us to focus our mind during our practice.  Research has shown that it is also effective in calming the central nervous system and clarifying our thoughts.  I, like many, have struggled with anxiety, especially with some of the activities that we enjoy.  Scuba Diving is no different.  What follows is how I have used my yoga practice to control my anxiety, the side effect has been an increased confidence in my scuba skills and in myself.

PADI Open Water 2017
In November 2017,  I jumped back into the water to get my PADI Open Water (OW) Diver Certification.  This was something that I have wanted to do for a long time, but FEAR, had stopped me from achieving it.  By sorting through my fear, and taking baby steps, I was back under the water.  SUCCESS!  I was certified.  Since then, we have been diving and working on additional skills (knowledge is power, right?)     

Well, this past week we were offered the opportunity to test for our NAUI Advanced Open Water (AOW) Certification.  Like a lot of life choices, this was decided on a whim, on St. Patrick's Day.  Classes started the following Tuesday.    
Blue Herron Bridge     
Our instructor, Vinnie, from Scubavice, was amazing.  He has the perspective that your AOW is about pushing you to your limits, so you know, and can stay safe, underwater.  I have anxiety about certain situations in scuba.  EVERYONE of my anxiety situations  happened this weekend.  Spoiler Alert - I CONQUERED them all.


Megan & I
Anxiety 1 - Not diving with Megan.  We are partners, dive buddies, and have done every dive together, even my OW dives.  That is the whole reason Vinnie separated us.  I believe that if you are paying someone to teach you, they know more than you do, and you should listen.  It was a great move, I learned to dive with a new dive buddy (Bernard), who I adore AND I increased confidence in my own skills.  So after 5 hours of class & pool work.  We were on for the 6 dives over the weekend.    Fear 1- CONQUERED

Anxiety 2- Darkness.  We did a shore dive, I love them, from the Blue Herron Bridge in West Palm Beach, FL.  Nice dive, saw some sunken objects and pretty fish.  Low visibility, but our navigation was great (I love navigation).  Pop up for a surface interval, then on to Dive 2 of the day.  We dove under a bridge and it is DARK under there.  I had to use a flash light.  (Now, keep in mind, I was the kid that wouldn't go into the basement in the dark), however, some slow, deep breathing, and we made it through.  We repeated this activity 3 or 4 times, I lost count.  But saw a little ray and some other pretty fish.  Fear 2- CONQUERED.

Night Dive March 2019
Anxiety 3 - Night Diving, Strong Current, and ZERO Visibility.  So we had some lunch, did some more NITROX training (different air mixture for divers), we made a quick trip to the dive store (something always needs to get fixed).  Then, we returned to the dive site, relaxed, snacked, and waited for dusk.  As the sun set, we entered the water.  The current was really strong.  I was attached to my dive buddy at the hip.  ZERO Visibility, but we navigated well (confirmed by Turtle Navigation).  We could, however, see NOTHING, without physically touching my dive buddy, I would have most likely lost him in the water.  Slow, deep, Pranayama.  I did not like the dive, but I did it.  Fear 3 - CONQUERED.

I like shore diving, but hauling a tank into & out of the water is not always easy.  Slept like a log.

DAY 2

Happy Me
My Buddy (Bernard) & I


Anxiety 4 - Deep Dive, Being Separated from the Group, and being, in essence,  Lost.  Our next dive was a boat dive with Stuart Diving.  A deep dive, in Shark Canyon.  The seas were rough and half the boat was sick.  (Thankfully, I love rocking boats.)  This was a deep, drift, dive.  Keep in mind, it takes me about twice as long to clear my ears and descend as it does others.  So, into the water and down we went.  I followed the bubbles, as instructed, taking my time and being deliberate in my actions.  Now where did they go?  I am 60 ft under, in open water, alone.  PANIC, ANXIETY.  Yes some, I am not going to lie.  Where are they, how come they haven't found me?  Wait, no one is coming, I can solve this problem!  Slow your breath, focus on your training.  If you are separated from your buddy you hold in the water column and look for a minute.  I see the wreck but not the group, I didn't take a heading, didn't know which way to go.  So, back to your training.  You surface.  I surfaced, alone, in a drift dive, which means the boat was moving and not where I left it.  Inflate the safety tube, signal the boat, keep your regulator in, and wait.  Boat came to me.  All went well and I climbed back on the boat.  The Dive Master said he could drop me back down on top of the group.    The voice in my head: "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?"   The voice from my mouth:  "I would prefer to sit out this dive and rejoin the group on the next one.  Is that an option?"  The response: yes.  Gear off, sit down, breathe.  I shut my eyes, felt the motion of the boat and focused my breath and my mind until I could function.  Then I reviewed my actions.  My buddy surfaced, as is protocol, and we discussed the dive.  Confirmation my actions were correct.  Fear 4  -CONQUERED.  Now it is time to get back into the water, gulp.

The Last Dive- AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL.  My buddy & I dove great together.  Saw amazing fish & rays.  I had a great time and remembered why I want to explore more of this underwater universe.

Large Ray Resting on the Bottom
I have to give a great thank you to my dive buddy, Bernard.  He is wonderfully calm and the the best dive buddy (besides Megan) you could have.  I also have to thank my instructor Vinnie, for answering my questions, and pushing me to be a better diver.  I have to repeat my deep dive to finish my certification, however, I have no problem with that action.  I am actually looking forward to it.  I am seeking to be a better diver and this is the process to get there. 

Happy Diving & A Blessed Yoga Practice
PS:  I will be furthering my eduction, with Vinnie, Bernard, and Megan, stay tuned.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Earth Day with Some Meditation

COVID 19 & PA- How and Why to Stay Active, NOW!!!

Health & Fitness Evolution or Transformation- Imperfect Progress and Failing Forward