So Why Spend 2 Weeks at an Ashram and What is an Ashram Anyway?


This is a question that I have been asked a lot. Honestly, there are many reasons.
Me at Graduation

Why Enter an Ashram?

The first, I have always wanted to experience living in an Ashram. Maybe it is the result of 20 years of doing and teaching yoga. Maybe it is Eat, Pray, Love. Who knows, but it has always been on my bucket list.

So why now? These last couple of years have been hard. I feel burned out, lacking a clear focus, lack of passion for things I once loved, and a general questioning of what do I really want to be doing with my life, because I don't think this is it.

So, I decided to quit my job, and thanks to a supportive spouse, fond a local Ashram that had a Teacher Training starting right after my tenure with FGCU ended. It seems like the universe was telling me something, even if I didn't quite know what it was. So off I went.

So What is an Ashram?

Here is what it is not. It is not a cult-lol. That is often the first misconception. It comes from the Indian
Rama & Myself
tradition and has been a spot to seek spiritual guidance and improve your physical and mental body.
Yogi Hari (Guruji) describes it as a place of learning where like-minded individuals can seek out knowledge, guidance, and truth.

During my stay at Yogi Hari's Ashram, I was able to spend time focusing on my next steps and what I really want my life to look like.

I also spent a lot of time doing the physical practice of yoga (typically over 3 hours a day), improving my own practice. I spend another 3+ hours studying the spiritual side of yoga. This is something that I have always been interested in but knew only a limited amount about. We also spend about 2 + hours a day meditating and chanting.

Results

Yogi Hari (Guruji)
I am still figuring that out. I feel I have a refreshed state of mind along with my 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training. I have found a community where I can explore my questions in a safe space with like-minded people. Finally, I have a direction or at least part of one, which is all I need right now.

So I have decided to continue on this path and I will be returning to the Ashram to study periodically. In the meantime, I am returning to running online accountability groups to help others improve their health through movement, hopefully, calm their minds and relieve stress, and connect with people who are looking to do the same. These groups are designed to help you achieve your goals, not goals set by an external person (i.e. me). Don't worry, I will help you set realistic goals you can achieve. No, I am not going to make you be a Vegan or attempt to convert you to some weird way of life. I have spent most of my career helping clients improve their health and I find great join in doing that. Think of it more as me returning to my roots.

We start our next accountability group on September 30/October 1, check out the details at
www.facebook.com/fmbyogaproject

Stay tuned, up Next - So what is a Guru? Hint: it is not a god.

Om Shanti (Peace)

Renee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Earth Day with Some Meditation

COVID 19 & PA- How and Why to Stay Active, NOW!!!

St. Croix, USVI - FAQ's