My G.O.A.T - John Snow

If you have been following, the FMB Yoga Project we are now doing online classes!  I have been recording classes on the road as we pick up kids whose schools have been closed. I have adopted a mascot for my videos - John Snow the GOAT.

Now, I am a fan of Game of Thrones and Jon Snow. However, he is not whom I have named my Greatest Of All Time (GOAT) after.

Instead, my mascot is named after the Father of Modern Epidemiology, John Snow (1813-1858) the physician.

He was the scientist/physician who found the source of the 1854 Cholera Outbreak in London. Cholera was common in the Victorian Era due to unsanitary conditions and close living quarters. Dr. Snow was one of the first to identify its transmission via food and water.

He used the processes we call "shoe-leather epidemiology". He physically mapped the number of cases and their geographic location finding that one water pump on Broad Street was the source of the epidemic. His work showed that by removing the handle, they could stem the tide of the disease. (Even though by the time officials listened to him the worst of the epidemic had passed).

Right now, during the Covid-19 Pandemic, there are epidemiologists who are mapping clusters and pinpointing carriers. Epidemiologists are also looking at vectors of transmissions. Molecular and genetic epidemiologists are looking at the structure of the virus to "crack its code".

If your kids are stuck at home have them do a little research on the field of epidemiology and some of the pioneers. If you need some recommendations to look up try The Framingham Heart Study or the London Bus Driver Study.

It might seem weird to some that I would name my greatest of all time, GOAT, John Snow.  For those that don't know, I am a doctoral trained Physical Activity Epidemiologist with a Masters in Clinical Exercise Physiology. I received my Ph.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in Epidemiology in 2014. Currently, I use some of the same techniques as John Snow to look at physical activity and inactivity patterns.

While there are many things we cannot control in these uncertain times, there are things we can do to keep ourselves healthy.

I hope this explains a little why I am such an advocate for physical activity and other health-related problems (don't get me started on the chemicals in sunscreens).

I hope to see you on the Virtual Mat or in the future at Face to Face class.
Me, the Short One, and John Snow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Earth Day with Some Meditation

St. Croix, USVI - FAQ's

COVID 19 & PA- How and Why to Stay Active, NOW!!!