Pre Existing Conditions and Exercise Recommendations

HealthCare/SickCare - Our current system is broken and focused on politics, not health.

So what do we do about Pre- Existing Conditions?  If 50% of our health care costs are preventable, but I have a pre-existing condition what can I do?  Many people I know have a pre-existing condition so here is my take on pre-existing conditions and one of the many exercise recommendations.

It is harder - not impossible - but harder.   Most of them benefit from an improved diet or consistent exercise or physical activity.  

I have a pre-existing condition.  I have HypoThyroidism.  It is genetic, it will get worse as I get older.  It causes me to gain weight, have mood swings - when it is not controlled-, and thins my hair.  (The later is not a vanity issue as much as it is hard on the plumbing- LOL.)  Not as bad as many, but it is not always easy.

So for me, I have to focus more on my diet and exercise to see results.  I have to be a little more "pure" a little more "hard-core" to see the results I want.  (Getting older does not help this, I ain't gonna lie.)

So today's thought is 10,000 Steps.  

Great Goal.  Where are my steps counters?  Shout out to you!  
You are doing a lot to change your health.   DON'T STOP!!! 

So here is where WE are doing you a dis-service.  How many are you are still struggling with weight or your pre-exisiting condition?  How many are hitting your 10k per Day and wondering when things will change for you?  In our sound bite society, we haven't done a good job of pointing out that:

1.  If you want to loose weight - you might need to increase that by 2-3xs
2.  If your pre-existing condition affects your joints, this may make it worse.
3.  This doesn't address the needs of your muscular system.

So, what does that mean?  If you have pre-existing conditions, you have to focus on your health more than those that do not have pre-existing conditions.  The 10,000 steps recommendation is focused on health but is a minimum amount needed.  Also, it may not apply to everyone.  AND know that my field (exercise physiology) is trying to be clearer with our new recommendations.  We aren't perfect and are human too.

So move more than you did yesterday and don't give up.  You're health is worth it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Earth Day with Some Meditation

COVID 19 & PA- How and Why to Stay Active, NOW!!!

St. Croix, USVI - FAQ's